Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pumpkin Button Art

I have truly become obsessed with making things out of buttons! It all started with THIS egg. Then I made THIS, THIS and THIS. Well now, we have a button Pumpkin!
And here's how I made it...

I started with this frame that I bought for $1.99 at Joann's, 90% off, I knew it had potential! 

Can you believe the original price?! Yikes!
Here is a shot of the back...
I just ripped the middle piece out and then wrapped it in burlap and taped it. 
I found an image online of a pumpkin that I liked and I printed & cut it out and traced it onto the burlap using a fine tip sharpie. If you are using darker burlap, I would use chalk. 
Now it's time to basically put the puzzle together. I put the buttons down where I think they will look good and then switch them around until they fit as well as they can. 
Aren't these buttons gorgeous?! 
After all the buttons are put in place, I then use a little dab of super glue on the back of each button. The reason? It holds the buttons in place while you are stitching them and hot glue in my opinion would be a more painful and messy option.

When they are all glued down, simply lift the burlap off the board you taped it to and stitch all the buttons. I used 3 strands of embroidery floss. 

And then you have this.... 

Oh, and I may have forgotten to mention that I painted the frame white :) Did you notice? 

I love my pumpkin button art and I think it definitely looks better than the original :) 

I am linking this project to THESE parties 

post signature

43 comments:

  1. Love the button pumpkin. It's on my list of things to do for fall crafts as well. The colors of your buttons were perfect - great fall feel to them.

    Would love to have you link up to the Sunday Showcase (open thru Thurs.) - http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

    Bern

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw you over at crafts. It's so much cuter now! I love your adorable pumpkin and the awesome price. It's so cute and bright.

    Hugs..Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pumpkin! I recently made a monogram pillow out of buttons. I realized about 3/4 of the way through that gluing the buttons down first would make it go a lot faster! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so cute! I love it! I think it's your best button project yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is super cute! I love buttons! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this is adorable! I love the texture and the different shades and sizes of the buttons. Seriously, SO cute!

    P.S. I'm having a $50 cash giveaway on my blog this week. Come by when you have a chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to make some of these. You keep putting out new ones, and I keep getting behind. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH My goodness!! This is my favorite button project of yours yet!! I am always excited and inspired by these, but I never know where to get a bunch of buttons the same color!!! I would LOVE to know where you got them!!

    Thanks!
    --Libby from Sweetteaandsalsa.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the button pumpkin art! Thank you for sharing this with us on The Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply adorable. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute idea! Super easy and adorable. I would love for you to share this idea on my link party at cookienut.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just ADORE the look of this pumpkin! So glad you shared it at the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a little obsessed with orange lately, so this time of year is perfect! Love your button art - I'm thinking of doing something similar but with white buttons. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in LOVE with this pumpkin!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is very cute! I love button art and I'm glad you posted this because I haven't seen anyone do a pumpkin with buttons yet! Great job :)

    Bekah
    If Work Permits

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how I love buttons! Your Pumpkin is so dang
    cute! Do you mind if I do one? I have burlap, and tons of buttons! New follower, come visit and I hope to have you as a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  18. cute! I love buttons and Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love it! Love it love it love it love it. Can't get enough cuteness from buttons and I completely adore that you stitched them. I often see projects where the buttons are glued but not stitched - makes ALL the difference in the world (to me anyway). Adorable!! -diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving those orange buttons! Thanks for linking up to the burlap party at WhisperWood Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice.for creative art and crafts deals and ideas are here.Arts and Crafts deals at Parramatta

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here we provide jobs in Mumbai from Job vacancy result company . And we also provide jobs in different state. Thanks for commenting.
    Jobs in Mumbai
    Jobs in Mumbai
    Jobs in Mumbai
    Jobs in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...